Previously, I uploaded this video on updating KK2.1 firmware in both OSX and Windows operating systems. For the Windows platform, I was using Windows 7. A few people have contacted me for help with doing this on Windows 8 or 8.1, since they were running into an issue with the unsigned driver. Here’s the video regarding the KK update, but this issue can come up in a lot of other ways that updating firmware on a KK board. Pretty much anything that needs USBASP drivers, such as firmware updates on the FrSky Taranis or Turnigy 9X/9XR radios, will give you the same issue.
And, here’s the issue:
Windows 8 is a bit more limited with regard to installing unsigned drivers, but it’s an easy workaround. Here’s what you need to do to get past this:
1. Restart the computer to the Advanced Startup Options. To do this, you can click “Restart” while holding down the shift key on your keyboard.
2. Choose “Troubleshoot” from the menu.
3. Choose “Advanced Options”
4. Choose “Windows Startup settings”It may say “Change Windows startup behavior”. The computer will restart, and you should come to another menu.
5. Choose “Disable driver signature enforcement”
The computer will finish booting, and you should now be able to install the unsigned drivers.
The next time your computer reboots, it will reset to prevent unsigned driver installation but the drivers you have already installed will remain.
I hope this helps!